Saturday, June 16, 2012

Rock of Ages, The Musical



A few days before gala night, Atlantis Productions' Rock of Ages was already 95% sold out so I was very happy to have secured my tickets ahead of time. It would've broken my heart if I missed this show for three reasons: the songs featured in the musical, Jett Pangan and Migs Ayesa.




Rock of Ages is a musical, with a book by Chris D'Arienzo, that is really not about the life of a rock star (the cool Stacee Jaxx) but rather the lives of ordinary people with dreams -- Drew, Sherrie, Justice, Regina, Lonny and Dennis.   Atlantis put together a talented roster to play the interesting characters of Rock of Ages: Migs Ayesa as Stacee Jaxx, the quintessential rock star in search of a most inspiring song; Nyoy Volante as Drew, a bus boy dreaming of becoming a rock star; Vina Morales as Sherrie, a small town firl dreaming to become an actress; Jett Pangan as Lonny, the wacky narrator who works at the Bourbon Room; Jamie Wilson as Dennis, owner of the Bourbon Room; Aiza Seguerra as Regina,  the bohemian activist; Calvin Millado as Hertz and Bibo Reyes as Franz, the father and son German developers; Jinky Llamanzares as Justice Charlier, the diva owner of the Venus Club; as well as champion singers and theater performers Apple Chiu, Japs Treopaldo, Mikkie Bradshaw, Berl William Angeles and Altaire Alonso.


Built around the classic rock hits of the 80s, in particular the famous glam metal bands Styxx, Journey, Bon Jovi, Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Steve Perry, Poison and Europe, among others. I am familiar with most of the songs so I truly enjoyed watching the show and singing along "We Built This City, " "I Wanna Rock," "More Than Word, " "Heaven," "To Be With You, " "Wanted Dead or Alive," "I Wanna Know What Love Is," "Any Way You Want It," "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," "Can't Fight This Feeling," "The Search Is Over," "Don't Stop Believin'" and a lot more.






The two-act show never had a dull moment and there were a lot of surprising elements to watch out for. Migs Ayesa, a Filipino raised in Australia, first came into showbiz radar (or at least, my showbiz radar) when he finished third in Rock Star: INXS, the search for the new lead singer of INXS.  But of course, he was already in performing arts way back.  I first watched him perform during the opening of one of the Philippine Advertising Congresses I attended and his mere presence, even then, was electrifying.  In Rock of Ages, he did not disappoint me.  Having played the role previously in Broadway and the show's US tour, Migs was very much into character and his voice is simply amazing!


Jett Pangan, on the other hand, played the witty Lonny with natural ease.  My first time to watch him in a not-so-serious role (there was Next to Normal, and most recently Jekyll and Hyde) and I loved it!  Having admired him since The Dawn, I've met him once before in Repertory and I must say that I'm still starstruck when I approached him for a photo after the gala of Rock of Ages.


Nyoy and Vina were excellent in playing the young lovers, Jinky was super classy as the diva, Calvin was great as the greedy developer with the soft heart of a father, Bibo was endearing and funny as the son Franz and Aiza was sweet but determined as Regina and...surprise! I just hope you can get to watch it to see what I wanted to talk about without being a spoiler.


Word of advice though, Rock of Ages the musical is interpreted a little differently in Rock of Ages the movie which stars Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx, so don't expect all scenes and characters to be exactly the same.  Just sit back, relax and enjoy the musical until the end where everyone, yourself included, will be singing and dancing along "Don't Stop Believin'" and probably experience LSS on your way home. 



Photo and poster from Atlantis Productions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...