Saturday, March 19, 2011

What is Normal...Next to Normal?

I have no clue whatsoever on what the play “Next to Normal” was all about. All I know is that: a) it is an award winning rock musical -- winning the Outer Critics' Circle Award for Outstanding Score in 2008; Tony Awards for Best Score and Best Orchestration in 2009; b) it is being staged by Atlantis Production in the Philippines as their 2011 season opener.

The story centers on a mother, Diana (Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo), who struggles with worsening bipolar condition and the effect that her illness has on her family – loyal husband Dan (Jett Pangan), 16-year old daughter Natalie (Bea Garcia) and 18-year old son Gabriel (Felix Rivera). The musical also addressed such issues as accepting and grieving a loss, suicide, drug abuse, and medical ethics. Supporting characters are Henry (Markki Stroem), Natalie’s classmate and love interest, and Dr. Fine/Dr. Madden (Jake Macapagal). Bobby Garcia directed.

The play started light with a bit of happy singing and comedic lines. Then the surprises began to unravel before me as I sat front row at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium in RCBC Plaza – I was expecting it to be a comedy but it turned out to be a tearjerker…sniff, sniff! Oh, and Jett Pangan played lead actor! I heard that The Dawn vocalist and front man has been acting/singing on stage but this was the first time I actually witnessed it. No questions on his vocal prowess there but I was amazed by his acting skills in a drama role. “Next to Normal” is a serious play yet something inside me expected him to belt out the signature song “Salamat” at the end of the play.

(L-R) Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo, Jett Pangan, Bea Garcia and Felix Rivera

My admiration for theater actors deepened as I felt their passion and saw their amazing ability to cry (shedding real tears) and sing perfectly at the same time. The feat would have been hard for mere mortals like me. So bravo!

I was touched by the story and felt a connection with the character of Diana, especially on the difficulty of letting go of memories of loved ones who passed away. Sometimes in this crazy world of ours, the only way to cope and remain sane is to hold on to those happy memories and forget the bad ones. If this is not normal…then what is?

“Next to Normal” will run from March 11 to 27, 2011 at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, RCBC Plaza, Makati City. Tickets are available at Atlantis Productions and Ticketworld.

Photos from Atlantis Productions


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...