Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ode to Friendster

I first caught the social networking fever way back in 2005 when I first started using Friendster. I remember feeling loved by my friends' testimonials and birthday greetings and really felt connected with them whenever we share photos of the latest happenings in our lives, even if some of them are miles away. But because there was nothing else to do on the site, I soon lost interest and just maintained it and updated it months apart.


Then my colleagues at work started using Facebook and its exciting applications that make it possible for you to have a virtual pet or send virtual gifts to friends. Friendster tried that for a time but the apps were erroneous. I only started my Facebook account in November 2008 when I joined a group of fellow media practitioners in an event in Pearl Farm and most of the parting words I heard when we were about to leave the resort were, "Pa-tag na lang ng pics sa FB ha."

I made use of Facebook like I used Friendster -- for photos uploads and messages -- until I tried the game apps and got hooked. That's another story but I think that was how Facebook got most, if not all, of Friendster users over the years. I remember Friendster revamping itself and relaunching to the public last year but I guess they did some heavy thinking and accepted that Facebook is currently the winning social network around the globe, that is until another Mark Zuckerberg comes about.

Today marks the last day of Friendster as a social network, instead it is positioning itself as a social entertainment website for games and music apps. They even made this file exporter for those who want to save the "memories" they entrusted to Friendster -- the application can download and save the user profile, photos and even blog. Being a sentimental fool, I stayed up late last night to retrieve all that I can from Friendster before it vanishes into virtual oblivion.

It was only after savings my files that I read the advisory that they are extending the deadline until June 27. So for those agonizing at having missed the chance to save the "memories", you still have 27 days to do so. Now it is goodbye to Friendster, the social network; and hello to Friendster, the social entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...