Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy Cooking # 1: Raccolta Penne in Salsa Rossa


Happy 2012!

I just want to share that I cooked my signature dishes this New Year's eve after so many years. I love food and I love cooking my own recipes or my own version of usual recipes but somehow I just didn't feel like cooking after my dad passed away some 12 years ago. It's the new year so one resolution of mine is to resume my affair with cooking (I hope to find the time and energy for it amidst my busy schedule).


Raccolta Penne in Salsa Rossa (Harvest Penne in Red Sauce)


For now, I want to share with you this healthy pasta dish that I created from scratch way back but I only deemed of giving it a name today and I will call it Raccolta Penne in Salsa Rossa or Harvest Penne in Red Sauce. It is a refreshing dish wherein you get to taste the fresh flavors of the crunchy vegetables, the meaty ground beef and the lip-smacking sauce.





You will need the following ingredients:

500 g. San Remo Penne Pasta

750 g. Del Monte Tomato or Spaghetti Sauce

50 g. Anchor Butter

500 g. ground beef

1 pc. medium zucchini, cut into chunky strips (same size as penne)

6 pcs. whole young corn, cut into chunky strips (same size as penne)

3 pcs. medium red tomatoes, remove seeds then cut into chunky strips (same size as penne)

1 pc. medium white onion, finely chopped

1 whole medium garlic bulb, finely chopped

1 medium can of button mushrooms, drained and sliced into flat pieces

3 tsp. brown sugar

3 tsp. Nestle Coffee-mate Powder Creamer

3 pinches of salt and pepper (or less or more depending on your taste)


To start, cook the penne pasta as instructed in the package. Remove from heat and strain/rinse under running water to cool and stop from being overcooked. Set aside.

For the pasta sauce, melt about 25 grams of butter on hot sauce pan. Add garlic and cook until light golden brown before adding the onions. Remove from pan and set aside. Next saute the ground beef until light golden brown and soft before adding the zucchini, young corn, mushrooms, and tomatoes. When vegetables are slightly cooked (still crunchy), add another 25 grams of butter plus the sauteed garlic and onions. Then pour a half cup of water to stop the sauteing and start the sauce-making. Put in the 750 g. of tomato or spaghetti sauce while stirring the contents of the saucepan. Add sugar to balance the acidity and add creamer to thicken the sauce. Stir constantly to blend all the ingredients. Lastly, add salt and pepper to taste.

Put penne pasta on a plate then pour the sauce while hot. Top with grated cheese if desired.

For non-meat eaters, this recipe can be done with tuna chunks and olive oil instead of the ground beef and red sauce, and it will still be yummy, I promise. My friends and former office mates have tasted the tuna version.

ENJOY! Let me know if you tried this at home, ok? :)



Filed under FLAVORS


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...