Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Forbidden Broadway: Musical Parody At Its Best


I have blogged about "Forbidden Broadway" last month as a teaser, having been invited to the press launch for a taste of things to come.  For those reading about the play for the first time, let me give you a capsule of what the fuzz is all about.




"Forbidden Broadway" is what New Yorkers call "the funniest show in New York" and is the Off-Broadway smash hit that is all about spoofing show tunes, characters and plots of contemporary and current Broadway musicals. Conceived, written and directed by Gerard Alessandrini, a then unemployed actor who wanted a showcase for his talents.  The original show opened in January 1982 in New York. The show has mocked popular shows like The Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, Les Miserables, Mama Mia!, Cats, Hairspray, and Rent, among others.  It also targets famous Broadway actors, writers, composers, directors, choreographers and producers but you'll have to watch the show to know who these are. 




Upstart Productions, through the talented actor, writer, director and producer Joel Trinidad, brings this musical parody to Manila for a limited run this May 2012.  "Forbidden Broadway" is a two-act, four-person show, with two men and two women playing pivotal roles and playing about 20 or more roles individually. The four actors who were tapped for the show are Liesl Batucan, Caisa Borromeo, Lorenz Martinez and OJ Mariano.

The fab four (l-r): Caisa Borromeo, Lorenz Martinez, Liesl Batucan and OJ Mariano  

At the recent press preview, I was somewhere in-between knowing what the show was about and anticipating which Broadway musicals and personalities are going to be spoofed plus the variety of costume changes that had to be done quickly throughout the show.  Boy, what I witnessed I wasn't ready for and so I kept on laughing the whole time without the guilt of offending those on the other side of the globe. As Joel Trinidad shared, "Forbidden Broadway pokes fun at all the big hits of Broadway, but in a good-natured way that's never petty and mean." 


I loved everything in the show but my most favorite was the "Wicked" suite.  Watch out for the witch, the cute flying monkeys and the...as much as I'd like to share the wackiest scene ever, I have to restrain myself in divulging too much, so I leave this to your imagination.  I also loved "Annie," "The Phantom of the Opera," and the showdown of Rita Moreno and Chita Rivera because of "West Side Story."


Liesl, Caisa, Lorenz and OJ -- all of whom I've seen perform in previous productions -- were all naturally funny! I wonder how they were able to finish the show without bursting into laughter or even breaking into a grin?  With a script that's so hilarious, if I was one of the cast, I can imagine myself giggling and choking midway through songs.  Kudos to the four talented cast members for being great and disciplined performers. I also commend the lone pianist, Dingdong Fiel, who provided good music and crazy antics as well.  


As mentioned in my previous post, guest artists like Aiza Seguerra, Nyoy Volante, Jett Pangan, and many more will be popping on stage but only one surprise guest per show.  Luckily, the special guest at the preview is none other than respected actor Noel Trinidad, who delayed his trip abroad just to participate in his son's (yes, he is Joel's father) show for the first time ever.

The cast with the night's special guest Mr. Noel Trinidad (center)

and here with director Mr. Joel Trinidad (center)

"Forbidden Broadway" will run from May 11 to 27, 2012 with shows on Fridays and Saturdays at 8 pm and matinee shows on Saturdays and Sundays at 3 pm.  Venue will be at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium, RCBC PLaza, Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue, Makati City.


Related Reading: A Good Kind of Forbidden


Filed under SHOWS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...