Monday, February 8, 2010

Martin & Pops Reunite ONE AMORE TIME

I watched their careers grow and their personal lives entwine in my younger days and since then, I became a fan of the Concert King and Queen. Even if they parted ways some few years after, I still am a fan of their partnership in music as I still feel their chemistry, their "magic" onstage.
When I got the invitation to join the press conference of Martin Nievera and Pops Fernandez, I was thrilled. This was my first time to see them up close again, the last time being some 20 years ago, back in high school when I watched their mini concert at Robinson Galleria's parking lot.

When I learned where it was going to be held, I was excited. I've heard about 7107 Island Cruises but I've never been on board one. So on February 5, my companion and I braved the North Harbor area to get to Pier 6 where the cruise ship is docked for the press conference. We made it just in time, in fact we were one of the early birds.

Martin was already there being interviewed one on one by various TV networks. To while away the time, I took photos of the make-believe wedding cake on top of a piano in front of the room. I was guessing the theme for the press con was a wedding. On top of the cocktail tables, there was a programme which indicated portions of a wedding reception -- song numbers, eating of the cake, toasts and well wishes from guests (press people) and parlor games. The press con proper started an hour after, when Pops arrived.

As they were being interviewed in front, the two seemed playful and sweet with one another, evidence that they have become really good friends over the years. Martin even shared Pops' birthday gift to him -- a printed photo album of their sons' picture as they were growing up.

When the press con ended an hour after, we were secretly led to another function room for Martin's surprise birthday (and they said that he hates surprise, ha!). As we entered a dark room, lit only by the lights from other vessels in Manila Bay, I saw that the room was decorated with balloons and the food buffet is ready. Then the door opens, in comes Martin and Pops, and everyone yells "Surprise! Happy birthday, Martin!" And he was indeed taken by surprise, happily laughing and shaking hands or hugging friends in the room as he was led to where his red and black birthday cake stood. Pops and Martin's son Ram was there to join the celebration.

Seeing them together made me wish they can be together again as a couple. But for now, I and the other fans who wish the same, will have to be content with watching them re-create the fantasy of "togetherness" and weave once again the magic that made them the undisputed Concert Royalties.

"One Amore Time" will be on February 14, 2010, Valentine's Day, at function rooms 2-5 of the SMX Convention Center, 8 pm. For more information, contact Ticketworld at (+63-2) 891-99-99, or visit http://www.ticketworld.com.ph/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...